Knysna Area ActivitiesKnysna is home to Knysna elephants, the Knysna seahorse, Knysna dwarf chameleon, the Brenton Blue Butterfly, the pansy shell, the brilliantly coloured Knysna loerie, lots of waterfowl and forest birds, cultivated and wild coastal oysters, dophins, whales and so much more.
- Enjoy one of the many Lagoon Cruises into the mouth of the majestic Knysna Heads various options including the John Benn with tapas and drinks (45 minutes) or Featherbed Eco Tour which includes a 2.2 kms walk and lunch under milkwoods (3.5 to 4 hours)
- Rent a canoe and paddle down the Goukamma River in the Goukamma Nature Reserve
- Board a Catamaran yacht for a journey through the Knysna Heads weather permitting. (2 hours) Knysna Elephant park – feed and walk with the elephants.
- Experience Africa, tour the township, meet the people. Do a guided tour with Emzini Township Tour.
- Sit on Bollard Bay, Leisure Isle’s beach, have a picnic and watch the tide go in and out.
- Take a walk around Leisure Island (4 kms)
- Take a drive out to Belvidere, Brenton on Lake and Brenton on Sea for breathtaking views.
- Walk from Brenton beach to Buffels Bay Beach (approximately 4 kms one way).
- Visit the seahorses at the Parks Board Office on Thesan Island.
- Take time out for some bird watching.
- Enjoy the lagoon – swimming, snorkeling or paddling.
- Noetzie beach and lagoon – stunning secluded beach. Once you have negotiated about 100 steps, you can look at castles built from 1932 onwards out of the natural stone from the area.
- Forest Walks – 6 to 9 kilometers in indigenous forests – you may spot a Knysna Lourie, elephant, buck or baboons.
- Visit the big trees – Kind Edward VII yellowwood more than 650 years old on the Uniondale Road or the Knysna Big Tree in the Rheenendal area.
- Knysna has three great golf courses: Simola, Knysna Golf Course and of course Pezula Golf Course with its stunning views.
- Go mountain biking in the forest. Intermediate off-road and challenging singletrack rides; or ride on the cycle tack along the lagoon edge. Rent a bike from R100 per half day.
- Visit the Turbine Hotel to see the original steam power station for Thesan Timber Mill.
- Visit Pledge Square Nature Reserve – in the center of town.
- Visit the craft stalls at Woodmill Lane or George Rex Drive.
- Go horse riding in the Knysna forest.
- Visit Mitchell’s brewery and beer garden to taste the local beer.
- Have a picnic in the Gouna indigenous forest.
- Go play at Blackwaters Mashie Golf course – fun for the family.
- Follow the road to the Viewpoint up on top of the Eastern Head for a view from the top then head to East Head café for the best light lunches and chocolate cake served with a great view.
- The Seven Passes road which originally linked Knysna and George takes you into the quiet beauty of the original forest and across Thomas Bain bridges.
- Visit the Belvidere (Holy Trinity Church), St George Church or the San Ambrose Church built with stone and timber with stained glass windows.
- Visit the Millwood Gold Mine north of Rheenendal where gold was discovered in the 1880s. Have a picnic at Jubilee Creek and 3.6 km circular walk.
- Saturday mornings only from 7.30 am to 11 am – Sedgefield Wild Oats Farmers Market. You can buy farm fresh produce such as cheeses, jams, pies and fresh fruit. There is also a large arts and crafts section at reasonable prices.
- There are several beaches for walking and swimming in the Sedgefield area.
Oudtshoorn day trip:
- Experience the Cango Caves 20 kms from Oudtshoorn
- Visit a Ostrich Farm.
- Cango Wildlife Ranch – crocodiles, big cats and more.
Storms River / Tsitsikamma: day trip (90 kms)
- Canopy Tour or Waterfalls Zipline Tour
- Bloukrans Bridge the highest commercial bungy jump in the world – 216m.
- Go black water tubing or white water rafting when river is flowing strongly.
- Cross the suspension bridge, walk in the forest and swim in a waterfall.
Plettenberg Bay: 30 minute drive
- Walk Robberg Peninsula – there are three walking trails and it is a good vantage point for viewing whales, dophins and seals. The longest trail takes 4 hours.
- Visit Birds of Eden and Monkeyland.
- Do a mini “Survivor” course at the Puzzle Park (1 hour)
- Head to central beach for a dolphin and whale watching boat trip.
- Tenikwa Wild Cat experience – meet Cheetah, Leopard, and all the lesser cats in their own semi-natural surroundings.
- Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve – a two hour game drive or horseback ride
- Keurboomstrand has a natural long beach surrounded by fynbos.
- Enjoy wine tasting and tapas at Bramon Wine Estate at The Crags.
George: 45 minute drive
- Visit the transport Museum to see old steam trains and cars. Take the Power Van into the Outeniqua Mountains. Pack a picnic.
- Play golf at Ernie Els’ designed Oubaai Golf Course
- Have a snack at the café on Victoria Bay Beach